Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Gathering Activity Center



Being that it is my senior year, a thesis project seems to be the main focus.  With a theme of surplus hovering over my every move, this could get a bit tricky.  We had to come up with our own thesis project with the driving theme of surplus and our own definitions and research of it.  I won't bore you with the factual and interpretational aspects of it though.  I'll just jump to my conept for my thesis: a gathering activity center for physcially disabled children.  Sure, it may sound like a boring project that may focus on healthcare and toys.  However, it will be challenging because of the direction I plan on pushing it. While it will have a fairly simple program of healthcare facilities, a gym, playrooms, and classrooms, I plan on overlaying program dealing with development and creating a sense of normalcy.  This may include a theater/auditorium, a pool area, a garden, kitchen spaces, craft rooms, etc.  The goal is to create a space that focuses on creating a sense of normalcy for these children through spatial transitions, adaptability/flexibility, and levels of inhabitation.  My main idea deals with the interpretation of a playground.  A playground is a symbol of childhood play and activity.  However, physically disabled children can not utilize most of what a playground offers.  So the idea is to translate the idea of a playground into an activity landscape within a building.  


As for my inspiration,  I have to give credit to my cousin Emma.  She was born with spina bifida which deals with the exposure of the spine when born.  This can lead to many medical complications and often problems with mobility.  After interviewing her parents, teachers, and therapists I have begun to get a feeling for what they want and need and what seems to be lacking in spaces that exist today.  While this may sound somewhat boring to some of you, it is making me really excited.  I not only get to create the guidelines for my own project but I have a client, a site, a program, and motivation.  What more can I ask for? ...  

No comments:

Post a Comment